8.02.2010

Legendary Chicken Pot Pie


This is my favorite, best, ultimate recipe. The legacy I leave for my children will be this chicken pot pie recipe. I would die for this recipe. Seriously, I want it engraved on my headstone. And I have Eva Snider to thank for it. Ok, well I have Eva's mom, Yolanda, to thank for it.

Many, many years ago (I'm talking 17 years ago,) my mom had surgery and Yolanda brought us our first taste of what would become my family's (and everyone I come into contact with) favorite recipe. I'm sure if I know you at all, I have made this pot pie for you. It's Preston's favorite meal and my mom has made it for so many missionaries, they've come to request it.

It is the simplest, least fancy recipe of all time, but it's the best.

When you cut into it hot out of the oven, it sorta falls apart but that's part of its charm. If you can stand not to eat it all, it makes the best leftovers. Somehow, it gets even better the next day.

Ingredients:
Pillsbury pie crust
4-5 chicken breasts
can of mixed veggies
can of cream of chicken soup
16 oz container of sour cream

Directions:
1. Boil the chicken
2. Drain and shred the chicken
3. Mix shredded chicken, sour cream, cream of chicken, and mixed veggies in a large bowl
4. Put mixture into pie crust and top with the other pie crust
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

*My dad eats his chicken pot pie with salsa and Eva eats hers with ketchup on top (was that a weird thing you developed when you were pregnant?) but Preston and I like ours just as it is. It tastes so good, I don't want anything to get in the way.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarry,
    You are too much. Legendary? I love hyperbole!
    I have adapted this recipe over the years. So now I buy a rotisserie chicken and skip the breast cooking part altogether. And now instead of the plain cream of chicken soup I use the cream of chicken AND herbs. Try this new and improved 21st century version.
    Love you,
    Yolanda of the Legendary Pot Pie

    ReplyDelete